"Rejoice evermore. Pray without ceasing. In everything give thanks: for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus concerning you." (I Thessalonians 5:16-18)

Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Writing to Understand

Merrimam's online dictionary defines hopeless as: 1 a: having no expectation of good or success : despairing b: not susceptible to remedy or cure c: incapable of redemption or improvement

I've just sent the third obituary to our crisis prayer line. Third suicide in 2 weeks by Christians who came to our church. Christians...ages 24, 19 & 17. Christians who became hopeless.

I cannot wrap my mind around this. I keep trying to understand how someone can get to this point of being so hopeless that the only solution is to put a gun to the head and end it all.

They chose to die--selfishly...they chose to be their own god. They chose death over redemption. It's backwards...it's awful...and I cannot seem to comprehend the mindset it takes to be your own executioner.

It's interesting that one of the defintions of hopeless is "incapable of redemption". Even though Jesus was executed for our sins...these people did not/would not/could not believe they were worthy enough to be forgiven...to truly be one of the redeemed. They must have thought they were the exemptions to God's Word. How horrible to live in that mindset of unforgiveness...a mindset of no hope...a living hell in the mind.

All I know is that we as Christians have allowed the world to penetrate our belief systems so much that Christianity from generation to generation has become so watered down, there's no purity in it at all. It makes me sad. . . because. . .

there's this 42 year old recently married man, who didn't want to die...didn't choose to die...He wanted to live with his newlywed....he was living a life of hope...

cancer took his life last night.

I just can't wrap my mind around this.

No comments: