"Rejoice evermore. Pray without ceasing. In everything give thanks: for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus concerning you." (I Thessalonians 5:16-18)

Thursday, February 5, 2009

25 more things...everyone is doing it

My first list...the truth is I am a very boring person. I wish I had stories of rock climbing in the Andes or hiking among the wild cats...ect...but I don't. But as I have read other's 25 things...more items in my life that may be found interesting came to my head...so here's the rest of the story:

1. When I accepted Christ at the age of 30, was the very first time I "heard" the voice of God. He was very purposeful in the message I received. "DO NOT LET LIQUOR TOUCH YOUR LIPS THE REST OF YOUR LIFE." I got it...and I knew the voice I heard was mine, but the emphasis was not mine...it came from Someone with authority and I knew I needed to obey. Even though I LOVE mixed drinks and used to love to drink Aste Spumante Sparkling Champagne, in 24 years I have never touched any alcoholic beverage. The fear of what God may do to me for disobeying that DIRECT order outweighs the desires.

2. I nearly died when I was 8 years old from inhaling sugar-sweetened lemonade mix. I didn't do it on purpose--my sister had said something funny and I sucked in some of the powder in the spoon in front of me. The granules stuck in my throat and clogged my airway. My dad saved my life that night...and I have never forgotten that fear of not being able to breathe.

3. I nearly died after I had a hysterectomy at the age of 26. I woke up to doctors pounding on my chest yelling "BREATHE". When I awoke, the doctor said "We almost lost you."

4. I did see that tunnel and the light at the end of it ...and now I know why I didn't go there. I was not saved...and there was hellfire and brimstone waiting for me on the other side.

5. I've made some very stupid choices in my life that looking back I wonder what I was thinking. Things that I did as a young woman with three children should have gotten me in a lot of trouble, but God's hand was on me at all times...and I know that now.

6. When my children got hurt (Geoff broke his arm at 4 years old, Chris broke his in judo, Melissa had her toes separated by a sharp corner) I was always calm, collected and cool. Always, when it was over and they had gone to bed, I would fall into a corner and totally come unglued wondering how I ever was going to survive being the only parent of three precious children.

7. I faced School Boards on three different occasions fighting for my children. And that's not even in my personality...but no one messed with my children. And then I'd go home and fall into a corner and cry because I didn't have the strength to make another decision.

8. If I had not been pregnant before I was married, I probably would have never been married, because my children's father was the only date I had ever had. We married when I was 2 1/2 month's pregnant. We were married for almost 9 years and had two more children.

9. I didn't know that husbands didn't have to hit their wives. I thought that was what was supposed to happen. No...it never happened at my childhood home...but I really didn't think I was much worth anything else.

10. It took many years of making decisions, several months of deep intense counseling, and years on my knees in prayer before I felt worthy to be loved.

11. I become so sensitive to criticism that I fall apart, and have to reassess my worthiness.

12. My oldest son was my prototype. I had no idea what to expect from babies, children or grown children. Sometimes I still feel very ignorant.

13. I have to purposely 'button my mouth' when a woman calls for advice and is in a bad situation and she wants someone to bail her out because she's not strong enough to handle it. From my past comes the words that won't come out of my mouth (rightfully so.) "Suck it up honey...life isn't fair...if I can do it you can do it."

14. God taught me how to forgive through a lot of prayer and fasting. And my prayer has always been let me see them through Your eyes. So # 13 instead of really wanting to say Suck it up...I've learned that everybody is hurting... it's just the tip of the iceberg.

15. However, I have no patience for stupid questions. If the shirt tag says "L" that does means it's a Large.

16. I waste a lot of time watching TV and on Facebook.

17. I wish I was as nice and good as people think I am.

18. People who talk about other people and make fun of them: I always wonder what they say about me behind my back.

19. I got ahead of God on a promise I really feel He gave me and have paid for it the rest of my life. The regret is as deep as a nail wound.

20. I am not lonely. I am often alone.

21. I have no very close friends where I live now. Seems every close friend has moved away. Sometimes I feel isolated, but I know that God is in the background stirring up a great big surprise for me.

22. I am reading the Bible chronologically in 2009 and have not skipped a day. It's been interesting.

23. My biggest pet peeve is people leaving cabinet doors or drawers open.

24. I love who my children are now. I just wish... they know what I would say.

25. I wish I had an eraser for things I've done to hurt feelings. Life is too short to hold grudges.

1 comment:

Amy Reece Spahr said...

# 23 - youd get along great with my parents, they dont like that either.