"Rejoice evermore. Pray without ceasing. In everything give thanks: for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus concerning you." (I Thessalonians 5:16-18)

Friday, February 27, 2009

In a Pit With A Lion on a Snowy Day

This book was introduced to me by my nephew Stephen who is enjoying his Freshman year at Central Bible College. I look at his Facebook page and can't help but smile seeing him allowing God to turn him into a preacher....not just any preacher...one who slays lions in pits despite the snowy days.

The book's cover says:
Your greatest regret at the end of your life will be the lions you didn't chase. You will look back longingly on risks not taken, opportunities not seized, and dreams not pursued. Stop running away from what scares you most and start chasing the God-ordained opportunities that cross your path. In a Pit with a Lion on a Snowy Day is inspired by one of the most obscure yet courageous acts recorded in Scripture, a blessed and audacious act that left no regrets: “Benaiah chased a lion down into a pit. Then, despite the snow and slippery ground, he caught the lion and killed it” (2 Samuel 23:20 -21). Unleash the lion chaser within! What if the life you really want, and the future God wants for you, is hiding right now in your biggest problem, your worst failure… your greatest fear ? "

I'm on page 63. It's a refreshing book for me to read for many reasons. One is I've been immersed in Christian fiction novels for the last few years...and reading a non-fiction book reminds me how much I still thirst for the newness of God. Secondly, I love books that challenge my mode of thinking...I love books that take me to another level of God's mercy, grace and Professorship! He is the greatest teacher...and I've missed learning from Him.

As I read this book, I see that God saw Benaiah's feats as worthy to be put in His Word. So obviously we must learn something from this verse.

Today I read "In his Letters to Malcolm, CS Lewis said, "If God had granted all the silly prayers I've made in my life, where would I be now?" Lewis went so far as to say that someday we'll be more grateful for our prayers that didn't get answered than the ones that did. The reason for this is simple: Many of our prayers are misguided. We pray for comfort instead of character. We pray for an easy way out instead of the strength to make it through. We pray for no pain, when the result would be no gain. We pray that God will keep us out of pits and away from lions. But if God answered our prayer, it would rob us of our greatest opportunities. Many of our prayers would short-circuit God's plans and purposes for our lives if He answered them. Maybe we should stop asking God to get us out of difficult circumstances and start asking Him what He wants us to get out of those difficult circumstances."

One of my prayers is that God would change my character. It's kind of like pulling at an ingrown toenail. It's painful and sometimes nasty looking...and sometimes the ugly character grows back the same way...but with a callous around it. I, thank God, am still a piece of clay, ready and able to be molded...sometimes not willing.

Yes, I've read all of this before. But never when I was in a pit...with a lion...on a snowy day.

No comments: