"Rejoice evermore. Pray without ceasing. In everything give thanks: for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus concerning you." (I Thessalonians 5:16-18)

Monday, May 18, 2009

Dealing

God slowly changed the direction of my job. I went from Single Adult Ministry to Pastoral Care.

In the ministry of Pastoral Care we deal with hurts.
I find my heart in my throat most the time.
I talked with a single mom whose son had a massive heart attack right in front of her in March. She kept him on life support for nearly three months because she couldn't bear the pain of losing her son. He died Friday.
A man who I am acquainted with, but really didn't know that well complained about a pain like a tooth ache in his neck and then it traveled up to his head like a migraine. Within 24 hours, he died. Totally healthy, 44 years old with two sons. I think the whole church staff held their breath because of the brevity of the situation.
Then a co-worker's father died on Friday. She loved her daddy like I loved mine.

Dealing with all of this makes "blink of an eye" become way too real.

Healthy or not, I cannot stress the need for a Will. Sam McLamb, Pastoral Care Ministry has dealt with so many families who are faced with literally life and death decisions and there is no will made...and children are involved. If there's no will, sometimes the children are put in foster care until family arrangements are made...is that where you want your children to be?

I watch death every day. Each day I feel a little piece of me breaks when I hear about death, dying, sickness and pain.

It certainly gives me a reason to be on my knees...thanking God for His wonderful favor.

If you don't have a will, you can go to www.legalzoom.com and make your own. If you do have a will, please be sure it's updated. God calls us in His timing...not when WE have it all together!

No comments: