"Rejoice evermore. Pray without ceasing. In everything give thanks: for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus concerning you." (I Thessalonians 5:16-18)

Monday, September 29, 2008

Two generations

As I was sitting with my mom on one of her last days on earth, my daughter was holding her grandmother's hand. It's the only picture I took...sparing my mother any more indignity.

My daughter's hand is so young, so ready to work...my mom's hand is worn out...rheumatoid arthritis took over many years ago, age spots, hard work and lots of wringing has taken its toll.

I wish I had the fore-thought to put my hand in there too...then we would have had 3 generations...but nevertheless...this is probably the last picture my mom will ever have...and that's okay...I will always remember the moment she brought that crippled hand to my cheek and told me "I love you too."

No comments: