"Rejoice evermore. Pray without ceasing. In everything give thanks: for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus concerning you." (I Thessalonians 5:16-18)

Tuesday, June 24, 2008

I'm not sure I want to know why




Last week, a state trooper was killed in Asheville by a man whose past is in pages of felonies, misdemeanors and jail time.

It was just a traffic stop.

It was...as all killings are...unnecessary. The trooper was a young man... with a wife.... and a son, who was born 7 weeks premature... and that baby is now on life support in the same hospital the daddy he will never know died.

I know this woman's heart. Any woman who has birthed a child, knows the pain of this mother. Any woman who has lost her spouse tragically, knows the pain of this wife. Any person who has a heart, knows the brokeness of this family....of the friends and co-workers of this family.

When I heard about this death, I cried. I know...seems I cry about everything. But I cried because it could have been my son. I cried because it could have been another someone I loved. I cried because the pain in my heart for this family whom I do not know, was real.

I'm stunned that life seems so insignificant to some people. That trooper, that father, that husband, that son, that friend, that brother, that uncle was living...and now there is no breath...and yet, there seems to be no remorse...and this man who is in jail now feels he had the right to end a life to secure his freedom.



I will probably never meet this trooper's family...but for reason's only God knows, I grieve with them.


I struggle to understand why murder is so easy....and living through grief is so hard.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

It is very very sad. Great article here Ouida on the pain that anyone can relate to just being human.