"Rejoice evermore. Pray without ceasing. In everything give thanks: for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus concerning you." (I Thessalonians 5:16-18)

Thursday, June 26, 2008

I fear no man


But give me a spider....and I'm on lockdown.

I'm not sure where my fear came from...but it is abundant and HUGE. In my younger days I'd just leave a room if I saw a spider.
After I was married, when my husband who was in the Navy would leave for his 3 month tour on a Boomer, when I'd find a spider, I'd call one of my neighbors or just any person off the street to come kill it.
My heart would race, blood pressure would rise so quickly that my head would start hurting, I'd start hyperventilating and nearly pass out when I saw a spider.
But my oldest son helped me get a little past that fear. It was his junior or senior year in high school. He was sitting on the couch and called for me. I should have known something was up when I saw the quirky smile on his face. He said, "You might want to kill that spider." I think I jumped as I followed his eyes to the curtains. It probably wasn't a HUGE spider, but in my memory it was gargantuan.
The fear of spiders is only overtaken by the need to protect my children. I sacrificed life and limb to kill that spider...all along in the very back recesses of my mind I'm thinking, why did Chris call me in for this...why didn't he get up and rescue me from this monster...why is he sitting on the couch laughing at me. My two other children came in (they had already gone to bed.) They are laughing too.
Unknown to me at the time, I was screaming....as I destoyed this spider that has grown in my mind to be handsized.
My children laughed at me as I put my life in danger to protect them.
I fear no man...the Bible says "The Lord is my Light and Salvation, in whom should I fear?" "What can mere men do to me?"
I've searched the Bible and NO WHERE does it say I shouldn't fear spiders. I know it says that we would have authority of all animals....but it doesn't mention spiders.
Now that I live by myself, I've had to be strong and courageous. I've had to swallow my fear and fight these creatures.
Not too long ago, I walked out of my house and walked right into a HUGE spider web. When I saw a chunk of something climbing up my arm, I ran back into the house. My daughter Melissa was spending the weekend with me and she was sitting on the couch...
laughing at me

as I screamed.
sigh.

3 comments:

Abby said...

You have a wonderful writing style. And, I hate spider too! =]

Karla said...

Spiders yuck! But one fear of mine that I had when living in FL was lizards. Tiny little lizards would come into the apartment and my sisters cat would chase them...and torture them. Many mornings we would wake to a little lizard body lying on the floor...no legs or tail...just the body!
I LOVED reading your blog!!

Missa said...

Ok...I'm still laughing. I can see you screaming running back into your condo saying "get it off me get it off of me!!!! and it was almost up to your shoulder and i couldnt' b/c i was laughing so hard....hahahaha
sorry Mom...