"Rejoice evermore. Pray without ceasing. In everything give thanks: for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus concerning you." (I Thessalonians 5:16-18)

Monday, December 29, 2008

Making Memories

My daughter and I just got back from Rochester Hills Michigan where we spent Christmas with my oldest son and his family. Everyone, including Melissa had the sniffles. Melissa drove the whole way...and I thank her for being such a wonderful chauffeur. We hit a lot of ice and snow on the way up, and the slowest interstate traffic both ways. But she was an excellent driver!
While in Michigan, I got to watch my sweet granddaughter sit up - I got to hold her and watch her amazement about everything from her two brothers running around and around to the glow of the Christmas tree in her eyes. I'm excited about watching who she is going to be. Her first Christmas and I got to love on her.
I watched my youngest grandson Thatcher, begin to grow up...a sweet, lovable, out-going personality who took me from wanting to pinch his cheeks because he's so cute to wanting to wrap him up in my arms and just love on him when he would be sad. He's begun to roll his eyes like his mom, and make the cutest faces. He loves to joke and is just now exploring a range of feelings and emotions that have started to make him be more vocal and independent. He worships his big brother and loves his baby sister. He loves games and loves to play. He loves unabashedly and sometimes gets angry the same way. At five, he is just learning what he likes and dislikes. And he likes Caesar Salad and doesn't like having to go to bed.
Jack, my first grandchild. I bought him a pair of jeans and almost cried because they were so big. I know children must grow up, but sitting by his side listening to him read a book perfectly, made me realize he's growing up so fast. Jack, like his dad, is a deep thinker, he assesses the situation, ponders and then aptly makes decisions. He loves his brother and he absolutely will push the same if he gets in his way...but one thing I do know about Jack, he is equally and fiercely protective of his little brother and will always stand by him...which is an attribute that is hard to find these days...nothing learned...just a knowing within him. Jack will be a great president of the United States one day. And whether he's that, a scientist in a lab, a magician or a school teacher, he will be the best of the best...the leader...because he's just that way.

My daughter in law, Amy is a beautiful woman, inside and out. She is a great hostess and a great mom. I warmly laugh as I have watched her be the mom of my three grandchildren. She gets so enthusiastic when they learn something. She is a consummate cook, mom, wife and friend --and she loves my son. She is protective of her family. She, like her youngest son, loves life. Her excitement is contagious and her love is so special. I am so lucky that my son chose her to be his wife...every mother in law should have a daughter in law like Amy.
My oldest son Chris has always been a very determined, stoic man. He sets goals for himself and achieves them. He is a deep thinker and has always been able to figure out how things work. His oldest son inherited the "remembers everything and has an eye for details" gene from Chris. I've always slept well when I'm at his home, because I feel very safe and secure. He is a good dad to his children. He gives them freedom to explore, he teaches them to think for themselves and he loves them. He seems to have been born to be a daddy to these three children. I also watched him do little things for his wife...most guys wouldn't even think of--and even she didn't see what he did sometimes...but I did. After 12 1/2 years of marriage, he still looks at Amy with respect and awe and I'm so proud that he does. He loves God and has a very healthy fear of his Abba Father. Wow...I'm not sure I had anything to do with raising him.
My baby...my daughter...who loves her family so deeply. She adores her oldest brother. She competes with fierceness that is only reserved for him. Melissa is everything a mother would want for a daughter. She stands tall, she is independent (yet still needs her mommy) and she has a standard of living that she demands for herself. She is a great businesswoman, a leader, a warrior when she has to be and she has such a soft heart that gets hurt with unkind words and actions. She has never seen herself as beautiful as she is, and never has had the confidence in her personal life that she has in her business life. A child can hurt her feelings so deeply that it takes a long time for her to get past the pain. And yet, she has learned to swallow that pain and it makes her stronger for the next battle. She loves to push herself a little harder, to achieve a little better and to climb a little faster. I only wish I could be more like her.
Rochester Hills Michigan brought out a lot of memories...forever memories for me. I'm grateful that God has blessed me with such a warm loving family--a family worth making memories with.

No comments: