"Rejoice evermore. Pray without ceasing. In everything give thanks: for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus concerning you." (I Thessalonians 5:16-18)

Friday, December 12, 2008

thank you God

At the end of each year I begin to think of what I have...what has happened and what I thank God for.

I thank God each morning for my children. Chris is so handsome, such a good daddy and a good husband to his equally beautiful wife, Amy http://www.creolecrew.blogspot.com/. I remember so many years ago, before he even married he told me he didn't think he'd want to have children, because he didn't know how to be a good dad. It struck my heartstrings and if I remember, I think I said he had the best example in God as his Father and an earthly mom who tried to make up for the lack of a father-figure in his life. And now...here he is with three children of his own and they love him, because he figured out a long time ago how to be a good dad...relying on his "heavenly Daddy" to guide him. He has fought many battles and with God's armor and his loving wife by his side, he has been victorious. He is in law-enforcement and sees things we only think we've seen on TV. And yet...his sense of humor will keep you laughing. Chris cut a new path in raising his children...and I tell him often in private...but in public I just want him to know how proud I am of him.

I thank God for taking care of my children each morning. Geoff is my absolutely good-looking free spirited, beats to a different drum son. Geoff has been gifted with beautiful sea blue eyes, gifted with 6'2" height and has always since I can remember paved a new way to do things. As a child, he figured out on his own that he could clean his fork by not licking it, but by wiping it under his arm. (I often wondered where those stains came from!) Geoff moved to Wisconsin about 6 years ago, no family there--just beating a new path, and has become independent, strong and sustaining no matter what life hits him with. He has become very acquainted with a snow shovel, too! Geoff has more compassion for the underdog than anyone I have ever met. When he loves, he loves completely...when he's sad, he's completely sad, when he's happy, it's infectious. Of all my children, he reminds me of me. He is a lovely man, with a lovely heart, and I get to call him my son! I am so proud of him.

I praise God each morning and night that He gifted me with children. Melissa is my stunningly beautiful daughter. My baby. There are so many things she reminds me about when she was a child. She tells me things I don't remember...only because all I see is the purity and lovely woman of God she has become. I do, however, remember when she ran away from home. And I do, however, remember when at the age of four we had our first major battle of the wills and I lost. She is as stubborn as the day is long when she believes in something...and at four years old, she truly believed she didn't have to clean her room. After two weeks without dinner at night, I caved. Now, as a grown woman, you could eat off her ceiling. If you've ever heard Melissa sing, you know she has at least a 4 1/2 octave vocal range and can sing the blues, gospel, Celine Dion, Mariah, Cece Winans, Elvis and anybody else. I have a CD of just her music over the years. I listen to it often and still am amazed at the gift God gave her. I've told her often how I wish I could have been more like her when I was younger. She is out-going, loving and has friends all over the United States. I am so proud of her.

So when I start thinking of what I have to be thankful for I just remember...thank you, God.

2 comments:

beth spray said...

wow! what a precious post! i sit here with tears in my eyes at your heart! thanks for sharing about your dear children!!

Anonymous said...

Your family is truly beautiful!